This post contains affiliate links of products I recommend. Read my full disclosure statement.
Need a quick Halloween craft that’s educational to boot? Use my free mummy writing template to make the easiest, cutest mummies around. Hang them together with the title, “Wrapped Up in Great Books!” for an adorable Halloween bulletin board. Watch this short video to see how to make them or read on for step by step directions.
Mummy Writing Craft
- White paper
- Black construction paper
- Mummy writing template
- stick glue
- Print the mummy writing template. Cut along the dotted line and cut out the eyes.
- Glue the eyes in the upper center of a black piece of construction paper.
- Tear a white piece of paper into long strips about an inch wide. Glue the strips around the eyes and along the sides and bottom of the paper. Leave the strips hanging over the paper’s edges or trim the excess off with scissors.
- Glue the writing template on the construction paper.
If you want to have students write about something other than a book they’ve read, switch out the template with a blank piece of paper or handwriting paper. Students might write a story about a mummy or a general Halloween story instead. Story starter ideas include:
- The Mummy Mix-up
- Mummy Makes a Mess
- I Love My “Mummy” (write about their mom)
Another idea is to use the craft to write a reading response or summary after reading a book about mummies.
More Halloween Writing Prompts
This mummy writing craft is one of the writing prompts included in my Halloween Writing Prompts resource for kindergarten, first and second grade. These print-and-go prompts cover narrative, expository and persuasive writing. They’re perfect for writing instruction, centers, morning work, early finishers or just for fun!