Here’s a fun and easy spider craft idea to make this Halloween or during a spider unit: a spider necklace! It only requires a few materials to make and kids will love wearing it.
- small metal bell (1 inch wide)
- black acrylic paint
- clear sealer (I use Mod Podge)
- paint brush
- 2 googly eyes
- 2 black pipe cleaners
- hot glue or craft glue
- Place a small strand of yarn through the top of the bell.
- Hold the bell by the string to easily paint around it with two coats of black acrylic paint. Once it’s dry, paint on one coat of a clear sealer. Mod Podge works great for this and the paint won’t scrape off the bell. *Tip: Speed up the drying time with a hair dryer. Each coat of paint dries in just a few minutes under the dryer.
- Cut each pipe cleaner in half. Lay each piece horizontally along the bottom of the bell. Push them up inside the bell to hold them in place. *Important: Make sure the legs line up with the top loop in such a way that once the string is put through to make a necklace, the spider is turned the correct way.
- Bend the pipe cleaners to shape them like spiders’ legs.
- Glue on the googly eyes with hot glue or craft glue. Add a new piece of string the length desired for a necklace through the loop and tie in a knot.
I love how they turned out! The pipe cleaners actually look like hairy spider legs! This spider craft idea comes from day 5 of my week-long spiders unit. I encourage students to wear the necklace home and share eight things they learned about spiders with their family and friends, one for each leg.